Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Great (Occasionally Terrifying) Outdoors

Can I please tell you how excited I am about our AELP Adventure theme this week??? I love almost anything outdoors, and who could possibly turn down the chance to go on an adventure? Now, I say almost because there are a few things about wilderness that I'm not super excited about, namely bugs & spiders. Pretty much anything with more than four legs! It's funny how being afraid of things can make us feel (and act) like children again. This was one of my little brother's favorite toys when he was younger, but I definitely wasn't a big fan...and it still kind of gives me the creeps.

All that aside, we have a bunch of terrific outdoor adventures planned for our AELPers this week, so just you wait! I, personally, had one of my own over the weekend. We try to take our dogs for a hike or long trail walk at least once a week in order to get out all of their extra energy--you dog owners know what I'm talking about, right? Well, we were out on the trails, almost finished with our walk, when one of our dogs discovered a porcupine. Of course, if ONE dog gets involved, then ALL of them have to, so before we knew it we had four dogs full of porcupine quills!! It was totally terrifying. In the end, I guess the good thing was that we found we react to panicking situations. It's unbelievably challenging to keep your cool when you're put into that kind of position. To me, that's the main message to take away from my experience. Even though it definitely wasn't the most positive outdoor experience we've ever had, at least we've learned something important about ourselves...and maybe we'll do something different next time.

Here's wishing everyone in our AELP family a fun, safe, porcupine-free outdoor adventure week!

No comments:

Post a Comment