Monday, July 1, 2013

Getting to Know You...

"...getting to know all about you. Getting to like you, getting to hope you like me." Does anyone recognize these lyrics? They're from the movie "The King and I," which was one of my favorites when I was a kid. It's a little old fashioned, but a classic. In the movie, Anna is a school teacher who has just met her new students for the first time. I can't help but think of this song on our first day of class! I know it's typical for students to be a little apprehensive, but did you know that we teachers get nervous, too?! We receive your application and grade your entrance exams, but it's impossible to get to know someone completely on paper. Our first time meeting as a class is an important bonding experience, which is why one of my class themes this week will be community building. Now is the time for us to get to know each other in a safe environment where you & your ideas are respected and you are free to make mistakes & learn. I left class today feeling positive and excited for what tomorrow will bring.

I'll end my post with another quote from the same movie. "It's a very ancient saying, but a true and honest thought, that if you become a teacher, by your pupils you'll be taught." I hope to learn as much from all of you as you do from me. Welcome Ellie, Adam, Greta, Jimena & Minori! Let the fun begin!!

1 comment:

  1. Kate,
    It sounds like you and Ellie, Adam, Greta, Jimena & Minori will have many fun adventures in learning this week. Enjoy getting to know one another and work hard! Karen

    ReplyDelete