Sunday, August 4, 2013

Learn to have a little class, Class!

So this week is all about art & music, right? Well, art & music makes me think about culture and culture makes me think about people's upbringings, and people's upbringings make me think about manners. Whew! Did you follow my train of thought there?? My brain works in wacky ways. What better time to blog about manners, though, after the class discussion we had this morning! Unfortunately, I can't take credit for this writing prompt--I borrowed it from a book called Yoga for the Brain, by Dawn DiPrince & Cheryl Miller Thurston. Read on to find out what I'd like you to blog about tonight! Just so you know, "etiquette" is just another word for "manners."

Emily Post's 1922 book, Etiquette, was quite popular in its day, selling over a million copies. Here are some examples of its advice:
  • There is no rudeness greater than for a gentleman to stand talking to a lady with his hat on.
  • Whether in a private carriage, a car or a taxi, a lady must never sit on a gentleman's left, because a lady "on the left" is not a "lady."
Clearly, times have changed! What is one area of modern life that you think could use some clear and specific rules of etiquette? Would it involve cell phones? Using skateboards? Answering email? Working out at the gym? Sharing a room in your dorm? Dealing with noisy children in restaurants? Or...?

Write the etiquette rules for one specific area of modern day life.



No comments:

Post a Comment